The Erie canal
Home | Canal System | Historical Documents | 175th Anniversary | Images | Maps | Tour | Traces | Locks | Boats | Books and Videos | Music | Links


Lyons Aqueduct

The remains of the Lyons Aqueduct are located a short distance west of the center of the Village of Lyons. Built as part of the Enlarged Erie Canal in 1841, the aqueduct was 130 feet long, and crossed Ganargua Creek, just north of its confluence with the Clyde River and just west of current Lock No. 27 and the junction of the Canandaigua Outlet with the Clyde River. According to the "Table of Aqueducts" in "History of the Canal System of the State of New York" by Noble E. Whitford (1906) the aqueduct had 5 spans, but the mid 20th-century photo below seems to show 4 spans.

At present, all that remains of the Lyons aqueduct are the piers on the two shores. The western side is incorporated into a private garden, and the eastern side is part of a village park.

Below, along with a mid-20th-century photograph, are pictures of the remains of the Lyons Aqueduct taken in April 2007. Click on an image below to see the full-size version.

The Lyons Aqueduct after abandonment Left: The Lyons Aqueduct after it was abandoned and before it was demolished -- taken in the 1940s or 1950s. (Picture courtesy of Allyn Perry)
Lyons aqueduct remains -- the east end Lyons aqueduct remains -- the west end
The remains of the Lyons Aqueduct --
Left: the eastern end ; Right: the western end.

Erie Canal home page
New York State Canal System | Historical Documents | 175th Anniversary Exhibit | Tour the Old Erie Canal | Traces of the Old Erie Canal
Erie Canal Images | Erie Canal Maps | Locks on the Erie Canal | Boats on the Erie Canal | Books and Videos | Music | Erie Canal Related Links
Copyright © 2007-2012 by Frank E. Sadowski Jr.
Please send comments, suggestions, etc. to Dragon Design Associates